I found a blog entry written by Ed Bruske, the Slow Cook. It was about Mendy Heaps and what she has gone through since challenging the school board in her area on child nutrtion at school. Read about her amazing and courageous journey, A Teacher Crusades for Better School Food and Gets Stomped
It was through this same blog that I found Mrs.Q, a teacher that is "Eating school lunch just like the kids, every day in 2010." I went back to the beginning of the blog and between the pictures, information, and guest bloggers, had some crazy memories of school food when I was younger. You'll have to look for yourself, but the containers they give those students.. wow.
Other websites that I found useful in both my thesis, and my own education:
- The LunchBox : newly up and running, the lunchbox is a "toolbox for transforming your school lunchroom"
- Jamie Oliver : the man that brought the "Food Revolution" to my eyes for the first time. He is truly working to make changes in this world.
- Two Angry Moms : go check out the movie, and see what you can do to help make things better for your own children.
- Nearly 25 million children are overweight or obese.
- The US spends more than $260 billion dollars on diabetes and obesity
- Over the past four decades, obesity rates have soared among children, increasing nearly five-fold among ages 6-11